Woot! Wednesday. Week half over. I could really use a weekend, soon. The last few days I haven’t been able to edit as much as I would like. Stupid life keeps getting in the way. That’s probably a good thing though. Much as I love writing and editing, I know it would all get dull if I didn’t participate in the human experience occasionally. 😉
1. Read at least 10 more Anton Chekhov short stories to add to my progress starting from 50 of 201. No new progress. 60 of 201. Read his stories here free!
2. Finish reading both The Fire in Fiction and On Writing. No new progress.
3. Submit Trick or Tree to another writing contest. Finish Dog Shy and write at least one other short story, all to be submitted to contests. No new progress.
4. Write a flash fiction story. 2 flash fiction stories written so far.
5. Do at least one thing every week that increases my fluency in Spanish and Japanese. I frequently listen to Spanish music via Pandora, so sort of check! I dropped the ball on this yesterday. Crazy life happened. 😉
6. Finish feedback edits on SHADE and get it queried. Still in the midst of editing. Got to another part of the book where I’m having to take a time out and see if it’s the direction I want it to go in. When you make changes you have to follow the strings you cut and see where it broke connections within the story. Sometimes you can see it right away, other times you’ll bump into it and it will take a while to untangle. Way it goes.
Bonus Goals. I’ve been taking Clemmings to my writing group and have been getting positive responses and some helpful feedback. I really have no idea where this story is going in the long term. If it’s short enough I may enter it in a contest. I know how I could make it novel-length, but I wanted it to be more of a novelette. Who knows?
I’ve also made some headway on outlining for Shade’s Book 2. I may try and write this for NaNoWriMo. Does it count if I’m borrowing old parts from my previous draft of Book 2? Since I changed Book 1 so much, a lot of things have to change. What do you guys think? It’s not exactly a fresh write. Does it count? I may still do it anyway.
Another Wednesday, another excerpt. I haven’t quite finished Chapter 3 yet, and wish I could pull from a Chapter 4, but alas, maybe I’ll go back to Chapter 1. Let’s see… the math. Meh, I’ll just post whatever I want. 😉
“Jade Simon.” I take her hand, but can’t catch her eyes. It’s like she’s watching me out of the corner of them.
“So…I guess you’re new?” She walks away from me down the hallway, then glances back.
“Yeah.” I hurry to catch up to her, grasping the strap of my bag. “My family just transferred here.”
Alice presses her hand against the wall. A panel opens. A glass full of grape juice materializes in the dispenser. She takes a sip. “That’s why you don’t know.”
“That you shouldn’t be hanging out with me.” She takes a big gulp, nearly polishing off the glass, and leaves a purple stain on her cheeks as though someone drew on an extended mouth with a purple marker. “That’s the rule.”
I laugh. “The school’s rule?”
“Close enough. It’s Mercedes’ rule.”
The rules. The thing I love most about rules is breaking them. No one ever cared because I always got results. It’s even better that it’s Mercedes’ rules I’m going to break. But Alice still waits for my reaction. A snort is probably the most appropriate. I fold my arms and lean against the wall. “So?”
Alice grins. “You certainly talk tough. A lot of people do when they’re new.” She sighs and turns around. “But they all change their minds in the end. Mercedes always gets her way.” She walks down the hall.
Do any of you know if there’s even a market for novelette’s outside of contests? Do publishers even bother with them? Do agents ever bother to represent them? I know there’s always the Amazon upload route, but I’m still not feeling like self-pub is the way just yet. Let me know what you think.
Okay, so I didn’t meet a lot of my Row 80 goals. How are you doing? Do you find Row80 still helpful even if you don’t meet your goals all the time? And you WIPpeteers, thanks for all your support. What’s your favorite thing about WIPpet Wednesday?