Happy Pioneer Day! Oh, what? You don’t celebrate Pioneer Day? Oh… Well, I never really did either, until I moved to Utah. And guess what? Got the day off. Thank you pioneers! Your holiday is much appreciated!
No, but seriously, I am grateful for the pioneer’s efforts. After all, Jae’s great-great-great-great-something or rather grandfather came across the plains back in the day. We Dansies are made of tough stuff. We figure if we can get through Wyoming with a wagon we can get through anything. And having been out to the area of Wyoming where lots of people died, my hats very much go off to those pioneers. You have to be a real cowboy to survive in Wyoming.
Onto the goals.
1. Read at least 10 more Anton Chekhov short stories to add to my progress of 50 of 201. No new progress. Still just up to 54. Read them here free!
2. Finish reading both The Fire in Fiction and On Writing. I checked out some Spanish materials from the library and have been giving them my attention, but this goal is going to happen eventually.
3. Submit Trick or Tree to another writing contest. Finish Dog Shy and write at least one other short story, all to be submitted to contests. No new progress.
4. Write a flash fiction story. Started another flash fiction which is fast approaching the 750 word mark. Hopefully I can keep it under the limit for contests. It’s interesting writing flash fiction. I feel like because you really must make every word count you tend to keep your words more succinct even on larger projects. I highly recommend delving into flash fiction. This is where I put my plotter to rest and go all the way pantser.
5. Do at least one thing every week that increases my fluency in Spanish and Japanese. Check and check! Teaching Tunes Tuesdays and I made it past the first unit of an intermediate course. Plus I’m coming across lots of great music via Pandora and recommendations from my co-worker. Latino Rock is awesome!
6. Finish feedback edits on SHADE and get it queried. CP had tons of stuff going on, including vacation, but I should be getting it soon and then I’ll probably be consumed with editing.
Bonus Goals. I’ve got about 2 chapters of a new novelette project I’m calling Code Name Clemmings. I feel like I need to get a first draft out before making actual title considerations. It’s been interesting writing something new with all the editing knowledge I’ve gained over the last year. First drafts definitely become better drafts than previous first drafts in my writing career. That just means editing will make it that much better.
5am coach is still a struggle, but mostly I’m winning!
How are you doing on your goals? When it comes to titles, do you know what you’ll call the story from the start or do you have to get a first draft out before one comes to you? Or do you struggle with titles anyway?