I’m only going to check in once a week for now. But hey, that’s what’s great about Row80 is you can do it the way that works best for you. That’s why I like participating. 🙂
So I took on another project which may slow up the Row80 goals for another week or so. I’m copy editing a friend’s book for $$$. It’s a little different than what I usually critique. It’s a book about crowdfunding, like IndieGoGo and those sorts of things. I’m learning a lot about it, so it makes for a interesting read. But it has a deadline of this week, so I’ll be back to the regular stuff soooooon.
However, that doesn’t mean I haven’t made any progress. Just not as much as I’d love to report. So here goes:
1. Read at least 10 more Anton Chekhov short stories to add to my progress of 50 of 201. I’ve read one, so let’s bump that up to 51. Woot!
2. Finish reading
both The Fire in Fiction and On Writing. For now I’m going to change this to: finish reading the library books on my Kindle that are due and then read those books. I’m in the middle of Chime by Franny Billingsley. It’s… okay. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not poorly written or anything, it’s just not leaving me dying to read the next chapter. I may abandon it. So far it’s holding enough of my interest, so we’ll see. I also have Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta, which I haven’t started. And THEN I’ll get to the other books.
3. Submit Trick or Tree to another writing contest. Finish Dog Shy and write at least one other short story, all to be submitted to contests. No progress at all. Copy editing project…
4. Write a flash fiction story. Same…
5. Do at least one thing every week that increases my fluency in Spanish and Japanese. Check and check! I’ve got the Teaching Tunes Tuesday happening and I downloaded JA Sensei and Spanish Babbel. I’ll probably lean more heavily Spanish for a while, since I’m closest to fluency there. Of course, I’m ADD about things, so maybe it’s good I’ve got two languages, so I can go back and forth when I’m bored. Today’s Spanish word of the week: zanahoria. It means carrot. And in the summer, I use the zanahorias a lot for juego (juice).
6. Finish feedback edits on SHADE and get it queried. My CP went on her much needed vacay and didn’t leave me with edits. 😦 But that’s okay, cuz honestly this editing project is taking up the majority of my time, so all good. I’ll pester her once she gets back. 😉
Bonus Goals. I have been thinking a lot on SHADE’s sequel. I’m trying to make a few scenes work logically in my head before I write it out. That’s my process, think, think, think, then outline, then write, then think some more, then edit, edit, edit. And sometimes repeat. Aaaah, writing…
I’m feeling decent-ish about my progress, all things considered. It’s nice to have goals anyhow. Unfortunately my 5am coach somehow got rehired, so I’ve got to retrain again for getting up in the morning to write. It’s a lifelong struggle to fire that guy. He’s a sneaky one, he is.
How are you doing on your writing goals, be they Row80 or whatever? What do you do to stay motivated? Have you successfully fired your 5am coach, or does he sneak back in on you occasionally too?