The leaves are getting sparse these days. I’m guessing future photos will probably involve winter landscapes. But I’ll find something of beauty to post here for you. And now the goals:
- Write at least 3 short stories intended for publication. I’ll probably try my hand at several more than three, but the hope is to find three gemstones among the rocks.
I entered Trick or Tree into the Writer’s Digest Short Story Contest. I think we find out who won sometime in February. Keep your fingers crossed for me, will ya? I haven’t made any progress with Dog Shy or any other short stories, but I feel like getting Trick or Tree entered took precedence.
- Read the helpful books to prepare me for the editing fest that will be late November early December on Shade.
I’m making pretty good progress with this. It really comes down to getting on the train and getting it done. I think I’m nearly halfway through Story and then On Writing will be next. Story is still pretty awesome. And as usual, I’m posting little nuggets of Robert McKee wisdom on Twitter. Enjoy!
- Have read all 201 available Anton Chekhov’s short stories, sprinkled with Hemingway and Bradbury.
I’ve read 40 of 201 Chekhov short stories.
- Once December hits, tear Shade apart and polish it to pure awesomeness! Shade is came out this morning now that Trick or Tree is taken care of, and I plan to polish the first chapter up as much as I can to get it into its contest before Thanksgiving. Then back into cold storage for a time until December hits. Yikes, I need to read my writing help books faster…
- No Treat November. I’m 50/50 successful so far. Some days I’m on target, other days I have a cupcake. Slowly but surely, I’ll get there.
- The Holiday Book Read! Finished Pretties by Scott Westerfield. I really enjoyed his previous book Uglies, but Pretties toward the end I felt disappointed. It was too formulaic for me, like he’d recycled the plot of Uglies, tweaking it to be slightly different for Pretties. Anyways, it didn’t drive me to want to read the next book like Uglies did. I may give Abandon a brief look this weekend, but I’m really going to push for getting Story read. Short Pretties review forthcoming.
Now it’s time for your update. How are you coming along on your goals? Any major progress to report? I know a lot of you out there are doing the NaNo. Stay strong and keep on writing!